The data collection for this project is now complete. Thanks to the many individuals throughout the country who responded to our invitation to participate as district expert observers in their congressional districts. Your responses are an essential part of this study; I am most grateful for the care you took in responding to our survey.
Two "reports to respondents" are available below: a report summarizing some of our results from Phase I (summer, 2009) and one from Phase II (the campaign study from October, 2010). These reports are meant to provide a non-technical summary of some of the findings from the study so far.
Several scholarly papers from the 2006 study and from a related earlier study on the 1998 elections are also available for those who would like to learn more about how we present our findings to academic audiences. As we publish scholarly papers from the 2010 project (it takes awhile – academic publishing is a long process), we will post them here as well.
I would like to thank the Division of Social Science at UC Davis for the support necessary to conduct the 2006 data collection. The 2009 and 2010 phases of the study were supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation (SES-0852387).
Walter J. Stone
Professor of Political Science
Director, 2010 Congressional Election Study
- Stone and Simas, "Candidate Valence and Ideological Positions" AJPS 2010
- Buttice and Stone, "Candidates Matter" JOP 2012
- Adams, Merrill, Simas, Stone "When Candidates Value Good Character" JOP 2011
- Stone, Fulton, Maestas, Maisel, "Incumbency Reconsidered" JOP 2010
- Maestas, Buttice, Stone, "Extracting Wisdom from Small Crowds"Appendices
- Stone, Maisel, Maestas, "Quality Counts" AJPS 2004
- Buttice, "Spatial Voting in U.S. House Elections"
- Joesten and Stone "Reassessing Proximity Voting" JOP 2014
- Maestas, Buttice, Stone "Extracting Wisdom from Experts and Small Crowds" Political Analysis 2014
- 2006 District Data.zip
- 2006 Expert Informant Data.zip
- 2006 Registered Voter Survey Data.zip
- 2010 Data Files